Sunday, March 29, 2009

Barriers to Communication

I met my late wife online back in the Dark Ages, using a Commodore 64 and a 300 bps modem. By the time I married her, I had graduated to 1200 bps. (That’s “Bits Per Second. For contrast, a 56k modem moves at up to 56,000 bps and a cable modem might go a million bits per second or faster.) While a lot of things have changed since then, some things remain the same. I’d like to talk about a couple of them.

It’s easy to misunderstand people in the online world. There is no tone of voice, no inflection, no raised eyebrow, no gestures. This means that to a certain extent the people we meet online exist in our minds. We supply any missing elements, and that means that anything that you say online is going to be seen through the filter of what the other person brings to the table. All of the hints about what you really mean that we take for granted out in the Big Blue Room are missing.

On the surface, this lowers the first barriers to talking. But it can often be a barrier to communication. You have to say more, create more context, and be more ready to explain what you really meant. But it also means that the other person has to be willing to listen. Every listener in the online world needs to understand the limitations, and be open to listening as the person they are conversing with expands, clarifies, and even corrects what he was saying. Both sides have to make a genuine effort or there is no communication.

All of this brings me back to where I started. I met my wife online. The details are a story for another day, but we misunderstood each other fairly often. In fact until we established a common framework of shared references and knowledge about each other it often seemed that the more we talked the more we misunderstood each other. The misunderstandings didn’t stop when we met in person, they just changed their nature. We misunderstood each other through 19.5 years of marriage, and still managed to make a go of it because we cared.

One other thing I’ve learned, both from my own marriage and from watching others try online relationships, then try to turn them into 3D relationships is that if you think maybe there’s a romantic feeling there it is VITAL to meet each other in person ASAP. Remember, you’re talking online to someone you’ve built in your mind. In your mind you might not see the faults. He won’t leave the toilet seat up. She won’t try to strangle me by hanging pantyhose in the shower. Eventually you make up an ideal person that no mere flesh and blood person can live up to, and meeting in person is a disappointment. Meeting in person early in the relationship can prevent this.

People drop bits and pieces of who they really are in the online world all the time. It might be a reference to an expiring car lease and what the replacement will be, or it might be a reference to going over to a daughter’s apartment to have dinner or the desire for a Sonic Cherry Limeade slushy.

These little hints add up over time to a more complete mental picture of the real living, breathing person on the other end. But to gather these pieces you have to pay attention. That means you have to give a damn about the person you are listening to. If you don’t make the effort, you miss the best part of being online.


4 comments:

t said...

It is so hard to picture a "real" person in the virtual world--but I think it just takes time and hoping that the person on the other end is genuine. Not always the case--but paying attention is half the battle.
Great post.

Mary T Bunker said...

Great story! I agree! Meet early before you fall for someone you'll regret liking in the first place! LOL!

gabbricha said...

It's a leap of faith when you start interacting with someone on-line, even if it's just being friendly. I'm often naive enough to think that because I'm being genuine everyone else is too. I agree that people leave hints of themselves, and that listening is key. Great Post!

Jr Deputy Accountant said...

This is really interesting! We just had our company's Second Life debut today (which also included a member of one of the Big 4 who'd never used the platform) and it was interesting that my CEO (in his mid 40s, won't disclose exact age haha) and I (late 20s) were embracing the same technology from different standpoints. I was in high school back in the 2400bps days, so I hear you on that point!! :)

Anyway, point being, part of what we discussed in our risk management seminar was the online medium itself and "communication" as we define it today. We've made a lot of headway in my company as far as Online activities are concerned and I have certainly forged long-lasting professional and personal relationships through avenues like Twitter - whether my CEO will ever fully embrace the technology is sort of a moot point. As long as I pick up the phone every now and then instead of relying completely on social media to do business for me, he's okay with whatever strategy I've got :)

Point of this being... I loved this post and it is a great reminder of the human behind the screen. Online technology has really evolved over the years to allow us a larger snapshot of the humans behind the machines and I can't wait to see how that evolves moving forward.

And glad to see "online dating" worked for some!!!